- This event has passed.
Rain Coat Making
October 28, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:15 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:00 pm on Monday, repeating until November 25, 2019
Make your own playful and practical raincoat or cosy duffle to shelter from the elements this Autumn. Eden is fully lined, has raglan sleeves and thoughtful details like a high neck hood to keep out the wind, practical pockets and a hanging loop.
Choose from the hip or longer length, snaps or toggle fastenings and optional zip, two pocket styles and optional storm flaps. Whether on a weekend walk, at a festival or doing the school run, you can wear your DIY outerwear with pride!
This beautiful lined coat is a more complex make so in order to make the most of your time in the studio we ask you to cut out your paper pattern to your size at home before the class, we can help and advise you on sizing.
WHO’S IT FOR
- Those who are a confident beginner/intermediate sewer e.g- have sewn a couple of garments previously
- Sewists who can read a pattern
- Sewist who wish to develop their skills and techniques
- Those who’d love to make a coat but feel it too bigger project to undertake on their own
- Anyone who like being a Sewcial Sewer
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- How to prepare your fabric
- How to Construct a coat with a lining
- Inserting an open-ended Zipper and press stud fastenings/toggle closures
- Top stitching
- Pressing and other essential tailoring techniques
- Use of all machines and equipment
- Popper tool for attachment
- Expert tuition
- Delicious cake and oodles of tea/coffee
WHAT YOU NEED:
Sewing kit to include scissors, pins, marking tools
Fabric for your fabulous coat – recommended Medium- to heavy-weight woven fabrics such as wool coating, cotton drill, waxed canvas, Gore-Tex, ripstop, PUL and cotton laminate. For the lining, try viscose, acetate, polyester or cotton lawn, or even low stretch jersey for a casual anorak lining
Fabric for the Jacket:
3-3.3m based on 150cm 60” width:
Fabric for the coat version:
1.5m woven interfacing
Optional: 3 x ready-made toggle fastenings or toggle buttons and cord
Optional: Open-end zip 50-53cm (20-21in) for jacket version, 58-72cm (23-28in) for coat version
Eden coat pattern worth £14.50
Full use of the studio sewing machines
Expert Tuition from Amanda Wyatt
Lots of tea/coffee and a yummy slice of cake!