- This event has passed.
INTRODUCTION INTO SEWING TROUSERS
October 9, 2021 @ 10:00 am - October 10, 2021 @ 3:30 pm£75.00 – £120.00
Trousers are a wardrobe staple, yet many Sewists shy away from making them, due to thinking the complexity or level is beyond their skill set.
Our intro into trouser making will be your key to building confidence with trouser making. We have chosen three brilliant patterns for you to choose from. All are flat front elasticated back for ease of fitting.
This workshop will run over two consecutive days, as we feel sometimes to sew a garment in a full day can be too much; we want you to have the best experience and be fully immersed in your project, learn skills rather than instructed.
Choose from one of the following three patterns
Emerson: A pull-on crop pant or Summer short with an elasticised back and flattering front waistband. Sewn down pleats and side pockets. Choose between the mid-rise that sits just below the natural waist; or the high rise that sits over the belly button. Sizing 0-18 US (finished hip 37 -49.5”)
Calder: Elevate your look with the Calder Pants & Shorts! Wide-legged woven trousers feature a flat front, elasticated back waistband, faced in-seam pockets, and three length options. Choose between a dart-less apple fit and a darted back pear fit for ideal bum shaping. The Calder is sure to have you loving wearing pants again! -Sizing 12-32 US (finished hip 46-67”)
Free Range Slacks: As easy to wear as its name. There are two options – a tapered leg version and a straight, cropped version. Both have an elastic high waist, side panels, top- front slashed pockets with top stitching, optional back patch pocket(s). The tapered legs look great rolled up.
Sizes 00 – 20 18-34 US (finished hip 37” 66/5”)
WHO’S IT FOR?
- Beginner Sewists who are confident with using a sewing machine
- Has familiarity of following a sewing pattern
- Has made a simple garment in the past 6 months
- Those looking to build their sewing skills
- Those who are building their handmade wardrobe and are Sewcial
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How to take accurate measurements
- How to make simple pattern adjustments – lengthen/shorten, flat bottom, removing additional fullness in trouser leg.
- How to lay out your pattern on to your fabric- Interpret and transfer pattern markings
- Cut out accurately
- How to sew in darts, pleats and insert pockets
- Optional seam finishes – French – flat felled or overlocked
- Create casing and insert elastic
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
Basic Sewing essentials – pins, scissors, marking tools such as chalk or dressmakers’ carbon; matching thread to chosen fabric
Emerson – 1.4-1.75 mtr of fabric
Calder 2.3- 2.7 mtr of fabric
Free Range: 2.1- 3m of Fabric
Recommended fabrics include – any light to medium weight woven fabric such as Linen, Cotton & cotton blends, Rayon/Viscose, Chambray and Twill.
We have a full range of fabric and haberdashery and are more than happy to advise on the suitability & requirements
Your own paper copy of your chosen pattern worth £ 18.00
Full use of studio machine sand equipment
Interfacing and elastic
Abundant tea/coffee refreshments including yummy biscuits and cake
Deposit can be paid with full amount payable 7 days before